it's fun being young in korea

Friday, October 13, 2006

I Think I Love You Korea

When we rolled into Gyeongju after a day at Haeinsa temple preceded by a relatively sleepless night at the nunnery, I was exhausted. so i was extremely pleased to see that my room had a bathtub and the hotel has a wireless internet connection. I realize that I should be soaking up culture but after a long day of culture, it's nice to soak in a tub. So we've stayed 2 nights at this place and will stay one more night, tonight, before departing for Seoul tomorrow morning. Gyeongju has been fascinating though. This area was the capital of the Silla Kingdom and there are tons of things built by and for the kings that are still around to look at. The royalty were buried in burial mounds like this. What's cool is that families that own land still bury their relatives in burial mounds. They're smaller, of course, but they dot the countryside, and most have a gravestone in front of the mound.















While the royalty was still alive, they kept busy entertaining themselves paddling around an artifical pond and carousing at pleasure pavillions like this. It's been getting quite hot during the day and while we were looking around the pleasure pavillions, I was wishing that I could just be lounging around with something cold to drink. But, alas, it was on to the next destination. The pace has been grueling. But I've pretty much enjoyed every minute. I think I love you Korea.












So tomorrow it is on to Seoul. We will have a farewell dinner and then I'm hoping that we will have a chance to experience Seoul at night. And again, as much as I love the kimchi, I'm still dying for a glass of red wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home